What is the best way to attack an opponent's city?
In Glory of Rome, not only does it matter how many and what kind of troops you have when entering into a battle, it also matters how well your troops perform in the battle. Glory of Rome uses a battle simulator for each battle fought. This means sometimes you will perform better in a battle then others.
In order to improve your chances of winning a battle we recommend you take the following steps:
- Scout your opponent before attacking so you know the types and numbers of troops to allocate in battle.
- Attack other opponents near your Glory and Palace level.
- Send AT LEAST the same number of troops as your opponent.
- Choose a General to lead the attack. The higher the combat skill the better.
- Increase your attack efforts with Combat items, such as Mars' Blessing or Chainmail.
- Increase research in combat arts in your Academy, like Hardened Steel or Swordsmanship.
- When choosing which type of troops to attack a City, remember this helpful tip: Ranged weapons (Scorpios and Ballistae) take out Melee troops (Conscripts, Legionaries, and Centurions); Melee troops take out Cavalry; and Cavalry take out Ranged weapons.
- Sending out waves and multiple attacks to an opponent's City increases your chances of winning the battle.
- Marching out a variety of troops and keeping enough troops to survive several rounds of battle defenses, such as traps and sling bullets, will also increase your chances of winning.
Even after following the steps above, your opponent may still be stronger by using a combination of research, combat skills, or other items you may not be aware of. This adds a layer of difficulty that we feel puts Glory of Rome above other strategy games.